Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The long and short of it


It's just hair, so why is it so difficult for me to find a stylist to cut mine?

I decided sometime between my last show, Camelot, and my current show that just ended, the Music Man, that I wanted to grow my hair out.  I know, I know, why did I ever decide to do that?  Well, I used to have really long hair in college and I really liked being able to do different styles with it.  Thing is, I never really did anything with it apart from putting it in a ponytail.  I remember telling one of the guys I sat next to in choir that I was thinking about cutting my hair and he reacted with complete shock, like it would be a complete travesty to think about cutting my hair short.  My dad is also of the opinion that "his girls" should have long hair.  Luckily, we both (my sister and I) have black hair (thank you Asian genes), but we also have wavy hair (thank you Scottish genes).

I did end up cutting my hair after that day in choir.  I go from wanting my hair short to wanting it super long.  I have tried and failed before at being patient and letting my hair grow, but I was super determined this year . . . plus, if you've read my past posts you know I've been super busy dealing with other things in my life.

So, after this last stint of performances my hair is not really at its best.  I've started seeing split ends and frizziness is ruling my coif more often than I'd like.  I have finally figured out how to get the waves to separate enough to look natural and cute (read - do not brush or comb between washings and wash only every other day or so).  Now I just need to get it to look a little more polished.

Cue the search for a stylist.  Everyone has someone they know or have heard about that is great.  Unfortunately, my last few haircuts have been the free ones through Seven Salon and my last one was at a different training salon and took 3 hours to get a trim and side bangs.  While the price was right, it took forever and instead of working with my waves she suggested I get a wave perm and ended up blow drying my hair straight for the final look.  Not really what I was looking for.

I was looking online at all different types of salons and started looking at their "About Us" sections.  Would you trust your hair to any of these people??



Is it just me or do they all look like they have the same haircuts in the same pictures?

Is it too much to ask to get my hair done for a reasonable price by someone who knows a little about my particular hair type and can help make it look good?

I don't know . . . maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but I've just had so many lackluster haircuts in the past that I don't want to ruin all the time I've spent waiting on my hair to grow.  I just want a trim.

I'm am thinking about it too much.  Maybe I need an adviser rather than a stylist.

Oh well, I'll post pics of before and after once I get it done.  Just thought I would share my most recent personal dilemma.


2 comments:

  1. i face hair dilemmas all the time. i want it longish, but then it gets long & it doesn't look good so i just clip it up on the back of my head all the time. i wish i could just go back to the good old days when i was bald & didn't have to worry about coloring, fixing, styling or anything.
    good luck in your search for the perfect salon & stylist. or maybe advisor. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I tend to want my hair short in the winter and long by the summer . . . I'm trying to break that habit and get the right lengths in the appropriate seasons, but we'll see how long I can hold out.

    ReplyDelete