Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Being "grown-up" can be difficult sometimes


I'm in for a busy weekend after having a tough week all week - again. Last weekend I had rehearsal for The Music Man after being off for 3 weeks. Let's hope I remember all the choreography or can catch up quickly. While I'm excited to get to see everyone in the production, it's a volunteer thing so in the back of my mind is a pull to get to my obligations. I don't think that's an age thing because I have always felt that when it comes to things I need to get done. What's new for me is the fact that I now am actually more laid back than I was when I was younger.

To help put things in perspective, here's a list of what needs to get done in the near future:

- Rehearsals every weekend: Friday (7pm - 9pm), Saturday (11am - 7pm), and/or Sundays (2pm - 7pm). The schedule changes each weekend for call days and times, but usually it's 2 out of the 3 days.
- Buying a "new" car: I had an appointment last Sunday , but they wanted too much per month so I said no and walked out. Back to square one.
- Moving: we are moving in with my dad starting in September to save up for a house and start catching up on finances.
- Scheduling a surgery for my husband: No specifics because it's my husband's stuff, but we need to get the okay from the insurance.
- Hospital visits: before he can get the surgery he has to be well enough to be at home.
- Work: I get distracted with everything going on and I end up doing one thing in the middle of another and it takes 3x as long to accomplish something.
- Nutrition: I'm seeing a nutritionist and trying to eat better, but it's tough when you spend most of your time away from home.
- Auditions for a concert opera role: I have an audition coming up on August 28th for a group I normally only sing chorus in.

So there you go. This is why it's taken a bit for me to get a new blog posted. I originally started writing this last Friday, but had to put it aside to get other things done. This is where I feel there are not enough hours in a day and enough days in a week.

However, back to the beginning where I said I'm more laid back. What is different as I am now "grown up" is the fact that I just know that things will get done. It helps to have someone there with me to go through all the chaos and stress. He's much better at seeing "3 steps ahead" and has been doing it for a lot longer than I have. It's tough when the person you lean on to help with certain aspects is out of commission, but I still run things by him and he still is organizing what he can.

What I know now that I didn't know then is that what has to get done will get done. It might not be pretty and could cause a lot of problems, but the end result will still happen. It doesn't dull the stress I go through, but on the surface not as many people see what's going on. At least that's my theory.

I wear my emotions clearly on my face, from the many years of voice lesson trainings to get me to express with my face, so when people talk with me they can't help but see what's going on. The difference now is that I don't readily spill my life out to anyone who asks me how I'm doing. I have learned that people have a lot going on in their lives and they don't need to hear about all my problems. I also know that I have a lot going on and don't really have time to explain to everyone I talk to what is going on. So it works both ways :).

I try to keep a smile on my face and keep in mind what is good with the world and my life, but it gets difficult. The Five on Friday blogs will help though. And, as my husband and I are fond of saying, it can always be worse.

I turned one of my other blogs into a vent-fest for a bit and this is not what I want to do with this one, so I am working to make what I post on here personal, relevant, and insightful - not pessimistic, spiteful, and overall negative. There are realities to life, but that doesn't mean we have to forget the miracles.

Thanks for keeping up and I hope to have more light-hearted and fun things on here soon.



1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling ... rather than sitting at home and doing nothing like I want to after work I have to load the dishwasher, clean the cat litter, make dinner for the family and generally make sure the house isn't falling apart.


    being a grown up sucks.

    ReplyDelete